Community Forum Evening
On Monday night, over sixty members of our HDCH community (parents and grandparents, prospective parents, alumni, current and past staff, friends of HDCH and others invested in the wider community of Christian education) gathered here at HD to participate in a community forum. For over 60 years we, as a community, have been answering God’s call to take courageous steps towards sustainable and innovative Christian education. Now again, we are seeking as a community to discern God’s wisdom and leading in the process of determining campus renewal to bless the next generations of Christian teenagers with a facility that will support the Kingdom mission of cultivating character through learning for a life of service to God.
The meeting was facilitated by M&M International, an independent consulting firm that is conducting a fundraising feasibility study on our behalf. The forum was an opportunity to ask questions about campus renewal and to complete questionnaires that will inform M&M’s study report.
Here are a few of my take-aways from the evening.
- We are surrounded by a community passionate about Christian education – excellent quality, Christ-centred education that is accessible to all who seek it for their children.
- There is some excitement about the future of HDCH, and some healthy caution.
- There is a strong desire to be proactive about the current and future enrolment growth.
- There are concerns about the potential effect of the proposed project on future tuition for HDCH families.
- There are some misconceptions and some lack of clarity surrounding the details of the proposed building project.
- There is some doubt about the rationale for a new build, and the concept of flexible, transformative learning spaces is still somewhat nebulous for many.
- HDCH has a deeply committed and generous support community that is serious about investing wisely. They are seeking good value and Kingdom vision.
I am greatly encouraged by our support community. I was encouraged by the thoughtfulness and care evident in the questions people asked. I have said to staff more than once this year that the only way we can do this beautiful HDCH thing we do is together. Evenings like last Monday are forums for the dialogue that is so critical as we move forward.
The report from the Feasibility Study will go to the Board later in October, and we will report back to our community after that time. We have important decisions ahead of us. We have facility opportunities and challenges that we will need to address. Thankfully, we have a God who we believe gives wisdom and guidance. And we have a remarkable community that has stepped out in bold faith many times through its history.
Please continue to pray for HDCH: our students, our staff, our Board of Directors, and also for our future.
Duncan Todd, Principal
Hamilton District Christian High